History of the Department
Adamstown Fire Company was organized on April 29, 1874.
The first piece of firefighting apparatus was also purchased at this
was a used “Little Giant” hand-pumper.
This was used until 1905, when it was replaced with a horse-drawn wagon
with a gasoline driven engine water pump.
Company meetings were held and equipment was housed in a small frame
building located near the intersections of east and west main streets in the
What took place between the initial start-up in 1874 and the charter in
1915 is very unclear.
The Fire Company’s building was destroyed in 1921 by a fire, and all of
the records were destroyed.
However, due to the quick thinking of neighbors, the equipment in the
building was saved.
In 1919, a Ford Model-T chassis was purchased and the pump and motor
assemblies were transferred from the horse drawn wagon to the new truck chassis.
This piece was used until approximately 1930 as the primary piece of
firefighting equipment for the company.
After the 1921 fire, meetings were held at Jacob Fisher’s Barber Shop,
which was located at 37 East Main Street.
The equipment was stored in Galen Bishop’s garage located at 128 West
In 1926, Homer Stork, owner of Hope Hosiery Mill, donated a parcel of
land at 30 Willow Street to the fire company so a new fire station could be
Plans were drawn and the building was constructed and furnished for a
cost of $14,035.22.
In January 1930, the fire company purchased a new larger fire truck.
This piece was a Mack Type 19 fire truck.
This was a very powerful truck for its day.
The 150HP engine powered a pressure/volume pump at 1,000 gallons per
The trucks cost was $12,500.00.
In 1937, a Ford pick-up truck was purchased and utilizes to carry
ladders, personnel, and other equipment to the scenes of fires.
On January 4, 1958 this truck was replaced with a 1957 Ford chassis with
a Peter Pirsch body.
This unit had a 750 gallon per minute pump and remained in service until
1968, a Ford 4X4 brush type truck was placed into service.
It had a 200 gallon water tank and could pump 250 gallons per minute and
remained in service until 2000.
In 1974, the fire company celebrated 100 years of service with a parade,
and activities in the Adamstown grove.
In June of 1980, a committee was appointed to consider purchasing land to
construct a new larger fire station, because the current station was too small
to handle the future needs of the company.
On April 1, 1981, a former automotive service station located along route
272 was purchased.
With many hours of dedication from members of the fire company and the
residents of the borough, the building was renovated, and turned into a fully
functional fire station with a meeting room and small kitchen.
It also had additional space for a newer, larger piece of fire apparatus.
This building was utilized by both the borough and the fire company until 1997,
when the current fire station was built at 30 South Poplar Street.
The old fire station was purchased by the borough, and is utilized by
both the Adamstown library and the borough municipal offices and meeting rooms.
In May 1984, a Seagrave custom pumper was ordered. This would be the first
diesel powered piece of firefighting equipment the company purchased. It was
received in January of 1985 at a cost of $135,000.00. This much larger pumper
was equipped with a Waterous 1500 gallon per minute pump and a 1,000 gallon
water tank and capable of carrying much more hose and equipment. The 1985
Seagrave remained in service until 2007. In March of 1990, the need to replace
the 1957 Ford pumper was addressed with the purchase of a 1989 Pierce Dash Demo
pumper it was placed in service in August of 1990 at a cost of $180,000.00. The
pumper also had a 1500 gallon per minute pump and carried 750 gallons of water
and remained in service until 2014. On June 24, 2000 the company purchased a new
Ford F350 chassis and contracted with Kaza Fire Equipment to construct a new
Brush Truck. This Unit was completed in September of 2000 and has a 200 gallon
water tank and a 350 gallon per minute pump at a cost of $110,000.00. On April
13, 2006 the company ordered a Pierce Enforcer Rescue/Pumper. The cost of this
unit was $400,000.00. It was equipped with a Waterous 1750 gallon per minute
pump, 1,000 gallon water tank, and a 20kw hydraulic generator. On April 2014,
the company purchased a 2013 Pierce Saber Heavy Duty Aluminum 75 foot ladder
truck at a cost of $599,200.00. It was equipped with a Hale 1500 gallon per
minute pump and a 500 gallon water tank. The Adamstown Fire Company still owns
both the hand-pumper, and the Model-T fire fighting pieces, and they can be
easily viewed at the current station located at 30 south poplar street.